Finnish Glass Museum
On show in the permanent exhibition of the Finnish Glass Museum are over 2,000 glass items of importance, from old pressed glass to Tapio Wirkkala's famous Kantarelli vase. The permanent exhibition is worth a visit for everyone who is interested in glass.
Temporary exhibitions are on show in the old glassblowing facilities.
The Finnish Glass Museum was established at Riihimäki in 1961.
The Finnish Glass Museum moved into its present building in 1980. The facility was originally built in 1914 as a ground turf factory for the Paloheimo Oy company. In 1921, the Riihimäki Glassworks company converted the building into a glassworks. The building has also housed a plastics factory and silkscreen-printing plant, and most recently the crystal polishing department of the Riihimäki Glassworks. The present museum café is the old horse stables of the glassworks. The alterations of the building and the museum's permanent exhibition were planned and designed by Tapio Wirkkala, a legendary name in Finnish design and a member of the Academy of Finland. The permanent exhibition was opened to the public in 1981, in the tercentennial year of the Finnish glass industry. The museum has 1,700 square metres of exhibition space. The larger room for temporary exhibitions was previously the glasshouse, or glassblowing section, of the Riihimäki Glassworks.
The library of the Finnish Glass Museum is Finland's largest specialist library in its field. At present it contains over 8000 books, 1300 catalogues and over a hundred videos. The library and the museum's archives are intended for research purposes. The library is open during office hours, but users are requested to make an appointment.
- + 358197584108